Basic Setup Series: Setup Google Analytics Account
What is Google Analytics
It is a free web analytics service offered by Google to analyze data for business in one place.
Why setup Google Analytics Account
Basically, Google Analytics gives you the ability to track your customer’s behavior and understand them. This information can then help you form a strategic marketing plan for your business to grow.
How to setup Google Analytics Account
Step 1: You need a Google Account to setup a Google Analytics account
If you are using a browser other than chrome, you will be prompted to log in.
If you already have an account please select the account you want to be associated with this Google Analytics account, and log in.
If you do not have a Google account already or do not wish any of your current accounts to be associated with Google analytics please create a new one.
Step 2: Account Setup
- Click the button that says setup for free.
- You will now be creating an account name
- You will enter an account name of your choosing.
- It says tracking…..
- A tracking ID is assigned to a property which can be a website or app.
- You can have multiple tracking IDs associated with this account.
- Account Data Sharing Settings: These are all selected by default. Read them over and select the ones that apply to you.
Step 3: What do you want to measure?
You will now be given a choice to choose between a website, a mobile app, or a combination of both. Make sure to select what applies to your situation.
Step 4: Property setup
- Website Name
- Website URL
- Industry Category
- Reporting Time Zone
Step 5: Create
- Click Create
- Accept all Terms of Service Agreements and select I agree after reading everything.
Step 6: Global Site Tag (gtag.js)
- After you've completed the setup you should now see the Global Site Tag.
- This is the tracking code for this property.
- Copy and paste this code as the first item into the <HEAD> of every webpage you want to track.
- If you have WordPress you can just use one of the free plugins to upload this.
Congratulations! You are now set up and all of your data will be tracked by Google and you will be able to see that information whenever and wherever you want so long as you have your computer or the Google Analytics App on your phone.